Basic Training

 Ship date is 11/2 but he left us on 11/1

Last day, The Goodbye- Around 6:30pm Adeline and I dropped Kris off at a hotel. Adeline had to go potty so we went in. There were friends and family there hanging out with their soldier. We didn’t know you could do that. Apparently the movie he had to be there to see (which he’s already seen 3 other times) didn’t start until 9pm. So he had to be there to check in at 7pm but then wait around until 9. I guess the other families knew that and took advantage of the time. I left Paisley, Cooper and Raegan at home with a friend. (Paisley and Cooper chose to stay home and Adeline chose to come drop off Kris.) We stayed for a few minuets but needed to get back to put the kids to bed. It was hard. I didn’t want to let go. Kris walked us back out to the van and said goodbye to Adeline. We got her in her car seat then I stood outside the van to say my final goodbye. When I got back in the van Adeline told me how much she already missed him and was starting to cry when we were both outside the van. It helped that we could talk and FaceTime after his video and before bed. I think he ended up going to bed around 11pm and then was awake and getting ready to leave for MEPS by 3:30am. He did not get to return to sleep until 10pm TUESDAY! I think he was awake for about 43 hours! 

Day 1- He arrived at MEPS and we could still talk and text a few times through Monday. Each phone call was hard because I never knew it if would be our last one. Then the last one came. It was around 8pm Monday night. I could tell from his voice and verbiage that it was the last call. It only lasted 15 seconds. He said he got there safely and he loved us. Luckily I was saying prayers with Adeline and Paisley when he called so they got one more goodbye. 

Day 2- Tuesday I felt a pain in my heart. I didn’t cry much, it just hurt. The kids seem ok. Adeline is having the hardest time, she tells me she misses dad. I felt like a middle school girl stalking her crush. I pulled up our Life360 app where I can track him and was surprised to see it update his location throughout the day. It was comforting to be able to see. I got 2 texts from him. Both were very short and then he was gone again. He  FaceTimed us for a couple of minuets as we were finishing up dinner. That was a huge surprise and joy! He suspects that he might be able to have a couple minuets a day on his phone until Friday which is when the paperwork stuff is out of he way and the real training begins. He said so far 10 people (1 male, 9 female) in his group (out of around 200) have been put into quarantine for testing Covid positive. I wish there was a more detailed resource for the family to know what to expect and when. It’s all so ambiguous and secret.

Day 3- I received a few short texts during the day and FaceTime in the evening while putting the girls to bed. It's SO nice to talk to him and see him for just a few minuets. It just makes everything seem more normal when I can tell him about the little daily things like play dates, baby pooping in the bath and eating it- you know normal stuff. They made him re-purchase all of the toiletries we purchased and sent with him and he's not allowed to use what he brought. Who came up with that logic?! Really do you care and does it matter if it's Colgate or Crest? Yes- apparently the answer is yes, the army cares. He's not getting great sleep since there are some really bad snores and the bed he was assigned is right by the door so all of the midnight pee runs wake him up. Tonight he's on "fire duty" from 1-2am. This is where they walk the halls and sign all of the potty trips in and out.  








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polly Pocket Birthday Party

Gratitude

Grandma Carol and the Bear